Friday, February 5, 2010

Relationships.


After a few failed attempts, I can't help but wonder, when it comes to relationships, what is the secret ingredient?


Yes I am only 20, and yes I can only count on one hand the meaningful relationships I've had. However over the past few weeks this is something I have become increasing curious of. Many of my friends are currently in long term relationships some spanning nearly 2 years, the majority being in their early 20s. How can this be? My best achievement so far is 6 months! I set myself a mission to find out how this level of commitment is possible and what they called their 'secret ingredient.' After speaking to two of my friends one being in a relationship for a year and a half, the other 11 months, my answer was clear. You can't possibly know what a relationship is at 20! Both claimed to have found their 'soul mate' and their remarkable abilities to never fight. Never fight! Soul mates! After biting my tongue and forcing my laughter back where it came from, I got quite worried. Can it actually be possible to find 'the one' already? One went as far to say "Nothing he does ever annoys me, he's just perfect, I love spending everyday with him." If this is the 'secret ingredient' I don't think I want it. The word perfect is something that has always made me want to run as fast as I can in the other direction, hurling as I do so.


I don't want perfect, perfect doesn't make you grow. Prefect isn't the person who pushes all your buttons and makes you face your shit! More research is needed I feel.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your blog and your thoughts, please post more!

    I don't think there is an answer to this question. I am only eighteen but out of all my friends I am the only one who is happy being 'single' and 'independent'. I don't believe there is such thing as what your friends describe as 'perfect' and I also wonder how on earth can young people stay together for so long...won't they wake up when there 24 and realise they spent the best years of their life tied down with one person?

    I guess theres good and bad with relationships. My sister and her boyfriend have been together since they were 16 and they are now 24. I can see they love each other but I often use to question their relationship and others..perhaps they are together because they have been together for so long, they don't know any better?

    Wow that was a long comment but I appreciate your thoughts as they are some what similar to mine.

    You will find the person you are meant to be with when you least expect it. Take life as it comes and the there is no such thing as perfect. I like to think those that have imperfections are much more interesting.

    http://faddicted.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete