Sunday, February 7, 2010

Reinvention.



What is it about this word that makes us all believe in ourselves again? Whether it be a messy breakup, trouble at work or falling out with a friend, what makes reinvention the key to becoming yourself again?
I feel I am the perfect example of a person who plays the reinvention card. I can't count how many times I have gone back to the gym, got a new haircut, gone on a retail binge and quit smoking all in order to feel I can rule the world again. Coming off a string of disappointments including my grandmother's death, disagreements with my boss, sister moving to London and a break up, I once again turn to reinvention as my saviour. But why? What does reinvention have to do with moving on? For me it's quite simple, reinvention means proving you all wrong! Ok so I have a huge ego and I need to do something about it, but honestly isnt that what it's all about? For me there's no better feeling than making my boss eat her words, or proving I'm better being single.
Since this post is in great need of maturity, I turn to my friend Peter, asking what reinvention means to him provoked quite a different response. "For me it's about looking at my behaviours and actions and understanding what went wrong, and trying not to let it happen again." A response I wish I could give! In my defence Peter has a few years on me and thus more experience to call upon. I guess something I can look forward to in the years to come.
As for now, I rejoined my gym today, my haircut is on Wednesday and I'm going shopping on Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I find whenever im depressed i change my hair, its been purple, blue, green... all colours of the rainbow. It got to a point where i was almost bald because i kept cutting it off. Then i resorted to retail therapy and ended up coming home one day wondering why the fuck id bought an olive green lampshade, it was almost as if i had no idea what i was doing.
    Whenever a breakup occurs i get nostalgic and fall into a pit of self loathing and destructive actions and thoughts. Maybe we need to reinvent ourselves as kinda a metaphor for starting fresh (der jess) but really... maybe its a matter of convincing ourselves that we can be different, we need to be different, so that jonny number 5 or jess number 10 never makes the same mistake.
    I still havnt quite worked it out, but god damn it felt good buying that lamp shade.

    ReplyDelete